Purebred Dogs - Get The Papers

An example of the Canadian Kennel Club Purebred Registration Certificate

An example of the Canadian Kennel Club Purebred Registration Certificate


Get The Papers!

Unfortunately, there are many people who when they  choose to a buy a Purebred dog feel that they must get a return on their expenditure. Therefore, they breed their female to the most convenient male they can find. How many times have you seen advertisements in the newspapers that read “For Sale Without Papers: $ 300 , With Papers: $400”.  The unfortunate part is that most of these individuals have absolutely no idea what they are doing and probably do not even realize that this type of advertising is against the law. 

THE ANIMAL PEDIGREE ACT, CHAPTER 13 64j ( a federal status ), requires that any individual who sells an animal as Purebred ( unless the dog is from a jurisdiction other than Canada ) must provide the buyer within 6 months after the sale the animals' duly transferred certificate of registration or certificate of  identification... Chapter 13 66(l) also states that any person who contravenes any provision of the Act of the regulations is guilty of an offense and if a summary conviction is obtained they can be fined up to 25,000.00.  If the individual is found guilty of an indictable offense they can be fined up to 50,000.00. 

In the majority of instances, people who advertise and sell Purebred puppies without papers or charge extra for the papers are usually not serious breeders, know next to nothing about the breed itself, the problems that can be encountered with the breed, and very rarely can provide the new pet owner with helpful information on the raising and training of their new pet.  They remain around long enough just to get your money.  Those who believe that they’ve gotten a bargain may well feel very differently when down the road your precious pet develops some weird and wonderful health problems, the veterinarian bills mount into the hundreds of dollars, and the breeder of your pet is nowhere to be found.  You also run the risk that your new pet is quite possibly nothing more than an expensive cross- breed...

It is the breeder's responsibility to provide the duly transferred certificate of registration issued by the Canadian Kennel Club ( CKC ) to the new owner.  Registering the litter, individually registering the dog and transferring the ownership does take some time.  However, you should be in possession of your certificate of registration within 6 months of the date of sale.  The CKC checks out the name choices and ensured that the other information on the form is completed correctly, then the certificate of registration is forwarded to the breeder to be forwarded to the new owner.

A number of purchasers feel that they “Only want a pet” and see no reason for having a registered dog. However, if your dog is not registered and you change your mind in the future, all sanctioned CKC events are closed to you.  That means you cannot enter a confirmation show, obedience trials, flyball tournaments, agility tournaments, etc.

In order to protect yourself, ensure you receive a signed and dated sales receipt or contract which clearly states you have purchased a Purebred, Registered dog. Do not accept anything less.

In the event you do not receive your registration certificate within 6 months of the date of purchase, you can then file a complaint under The Animal Pedigree Act through the RCMP. You can also file a complaint with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club). Be sure to enclose a copy of your sale agreement, the name and address of the breeder, the registered names of the parents, the dog's date of birth and any other pertinent information you have available.

Remember, if you have your heart set on purchasing a purebred dog, don't pay a fortune for what may be a cross-bred dog.....and don't feel you're saving money by not getting your dogs registration papers...